Candle Safety


A study by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission suggests that 85% of candle fires could be avoided if consumers followed 3 basic safety rules:

  • Never leave a burning candle unattended.
  • Never burn a candle on or near anything that might catch fire.
  • Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.

Why trimming your wick is very important.

You always read that you should be trimming your wick to ¼” every time you light your candle, but do you? Chances are, you don’t but here’s why you should and why it’s so important.

Whether you use scissors, nail trimmers or an actual wick trimmer, trimming it brings out the best of your candles. The longer the wick, the more fuel that your wick is burning. Meaning, your candle is too hot and your candle is burning too fast. Also, it’s going to create that nasty soot that we’re all trying to avoid.

Why you shouldn’t your candle more than 4 hours.

We’ve all done it. You light a candle on the nightstand or the coffee table, only to fall asleep only and wake up 8 hours later and it’s still burning. First and foremost, never leave a candle burning unattended!  If you burn your candle for more than 4 hours at a time, carbon collects on the wick, and it begins to “mushroom.” This causes the wick to become unstable, the flame gets too large and your candle smokes too much, which releases that dangerous soot into the air and all collects all around your candle container.

Why you should burn your candle at LEAST an hour for each inch of diameter the first time you light it.

Tunneling. It’s a term, us in the candle biz call when you don’t let your candles melt pool (the melted wax) go all the way to the edge. Wax has a memory, so you’re going to want to burn your candle so the melt pool goes all the way to the edge of the container. That way, the next time you burn your candle, it will remember to melt all the way out to the side, the way it’s supposed to burn.

Don’t burn a candle all the way down.

After hours and hours of burning, a glass jar or container gets too hot, which can cause it to break or explode which could  possibly cause a fire as well as other damage. Candles that are in a container should no longer be burned when there is half an inch of wax left. I know that it  seems like you’re not getting your money’s worth, but doing so could prevent possible injury and damage.

Other factors to consider when burning your candle:

  • Don’t touch or move the candle until it has completely cooled. Despite the thickness of the container, it will be hot and it will burn you.
  • Do not blow your candle out. Use a candle snuffer to extinguish a candle. It’s the safest way to prevent hot wax from splattering. It also prevents all the smoke from encompassing the room.
  • Never burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire. Keep burning candles away from carpet, furniture, curtains, books, bedding and anything else that’s flammable.  

I will admit, I don’t always follow the rules, and I’m sure you don’t either, but when it comes to keeping you, your family and your pets safe, keep in mind all of the possible dangers that could happen should you not burn your candle correctly.